Timothy-Tucker.com

You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams

Name:
Location: Kentucky, United States

Tuesday, May 06, 2003

DNR
I walked up to the Med-Surg counter and laid the chart down next to the computer monitor. In my mind, I sorted through the tasks ahead, and I let my eyes roam the post-it notes on the front desk. Family call lists, shift assignments, DNR’s, and something caught my eye. DNR: Do Not Resuscitate. No life saving measures to be used by request of the patient or their family. DNR: “saving me would be worse than letting me die.”

I saw the name of a friend, someone I went to school with. Someone too young to have a DNR written beside their name, not without tragedy, life ended too soon. I thought of their kids. How old would they be now, fifteen, sixteen? I thought of their spouse. I thought of my wife, my kids. How does someone get “Grown up” enough to deal with this. I know I am not. I hope I never have to be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home